Innovation projects gather under new umbrella
From 2014, the innovation-oriented activities in the Swedish Travel and Tourism Industry Federation will continue in Swedish Tourism Innovation Center AB (svb). The company is the association’s service company that has been renamed and transformed into a non-profit organization with restricted profit distribution (svb*).
The Swedish Travel and Tourism Industry Federation (RTS), has during the latest year further developed the business into new innovation-oriented projects. RTS has signed an agreement with UNWTO (United Nations World Tourism Organization) on the tourism innovation project “Down to Earth for Tourism “, has been recognized as good practice in the EU with Kurbits business development program, and runs programs through Vinnova.
– It’s incredibly exciting that the business has taken a step into the international market. Exporting knowledge and services to other markets gives us new opportunities to raise industry issues in a larger context. At the same time, we must pursue new forms of collaboration here in Sweden. We have therefore decided to transform our service company into a svb company and have given the CEO, Jan Lundin, further responsibility and ownership of this part of the business, says Lennart Mankert, Chairman for the Swedish Travel and Tourism Industry Federation.
For this reason, the Board of the Association made the following decisions:
The service company Swedish Travel and Tourist Industry AB becomes the Swedish Tourism Innovation Center AB (svb)
Swedish Travel and Tourist Industry AB, which since 1992 has been the association’s wholly owned service company, has been reorganized into a non-profit svb company where any profit surplus in the company is to be reinvested in tourism development. The company will continue to run the office operations for the association but has changed its name to Swedish Tourism Innovation Center to better reflect the development operations towards an international market. The ownership structure is initially the company’s CEO Jan Lundin (91 percent) and the Association’s Swedish Travel and Tourism Industry Federation (9 percent).
The association: The Swedish Travel and Tourist industry Federation (RTS)
The association, with its members, will continue to operate with a continued focus on the development and collaboration for the tourism industry in infrastructure, entrepreneurship and finance.
– Jan Lundin, currently CEO, becomes the secretary general of the association
– The association will continue to operate and be the sender to the Swedish Tourism Gala and the Growth Day. The association is also the sender to reports and analysis on the industry’s development.
– It is both stimulating and challenging to take on the further development of the innovation businesses and projects. Connecting tourism with other areas has proven to bring new values. Therefore, we also need to establish new structures for cross-sector collaborations. We are facing an exciting phase where participating parties, our projects and the external needs will influence the structuring of the future operations and organization, says Jan Lundin, CEO for the Tourism Innovation Center and General Secretary of the Swedish Travel and Tourism Industry Federation (RTS).
The Swedish Tourism Innovation Center AB (svb) is a national and international arena and platform for cross-border collaboration for increased innovation related to tourism. The vision is to contribute to a better world with tourism as a tool for solving global societal challenges. The Center is a non-profit organization where any profit surplus in the company will be reinvested in tourism development. The company’s advisory board, representing the markets and projects that the center operates, consists of both national and international actors such as the Secretary-General from UNWTO, Taleb Rifai.
The following activities will be conducted in Swedish Tourism Innovation Center AB (svb):
– Responsible for the operational activities of the RTS , The Swedish Travel and Tourism Industry Federation
– ” Down to Earth for Tourism ” with UNWTO
– ” Ultimate Experience ” by Vinnova
– Kurbits Business Development Program
– ” Business Generating System” by Swedish Institute
– “Nordic Tourism Investment Forum” along with the Nordic countries
– TRIP.se , community for tourism businesses
* The abbreviation svb means that the innovation center is a limited company with restricted profit distribution (for more information about corporate form, see the Companies Registration Office’s web site).
Read more about the Swedish Tourism Innovation Center at: www.tourisminnovation.se.
About the Swedish Travel and Tourism Industry Federation
The goal of the association is to get the tourism industry to grow. We do this by showing tourism entrepreneurs the opportunities that exist, identify what it takes to be successful and then give support to evolve. Moving from words to action is not always easy. But along with our members, other players in the industry, our ownership in Swedish Tourism Innovation Center AB ( svb ) and together with the public sector, we can build a platform market for tourism industry stakeholders. Read more about the activities of www.rts.se.